Having healthy nails is overlooked by most people. You may not even know your nails are unhealthy if you don’t know what to look for. Everyone loves a great manicure and healthy nails are key to one! If you want to learn how to keep your nails healthy, keep reading below to see the do’s and don’ts for healthy nails.
What Do Unhealthy Nails Look Like?First, we should review what unhealthy nails look like. You should know what to look for in your nails so you can treat the issue as soon as possible. Unhealthy nails have these characteristics:
- Change in nail color
- Change in nail shape
- Dry cuticles
- Nails not growing
- White Spots
- Trim your nails. Trimming your nails can prevent your nails from ripping or tearing on things while you use your hands.
- Clean your nails and make sure they’re dry. Doing this will prevent fungi and bacteria from growing in and under your nails. Exposing your nails to hot water for prolonged periods of time can cause damage to your nails.
- Treat cuts and ingrown nails as soon as possible. Treating cuts and ingrown nails can prevent long-term damage, and help them heal faster.
- Use moisturizer on your nails. Using moisturizer will hydrate your nails. This will strengthen them and prevent breakage, tears, etc.
- Apply a top coat to your nails. Applying a top coat will strengthen your nails and prevent breakage.
- Bite your fingernails. Biting your nails can damage your nail bed. When you bite your nails you can make little cuts in your skin which allows bacteria to enter and cause infection.
- Ignore abnormalities in your nails. Your nails should be smooth and all the same color. If you have something in or around your nails that doesn't look normal, you should consult a physician.
- Pull on your hangnails. Pulling off your hangnails can tear your skin leaving your skin open to bacteria.
- Soak your nails for a long period of time. Soaking your nails for a long time can cause your nails to weaken which makes them easier to split and break.
- Use nail tools. Using nail tools can cut cuticles and damage your nails.